I lead on video production for the Philharmonia Orchestra in London, UK, specialising in documentaries, interviews, listening/instrument guides and performance film. I aim to illuminate the thought, hard work, ingenuity and humanity behind great music making. My work is always a collaborative process, across teams, with artists, and with talented freelance crew. Under my management, I’ve built the Philharmonia’s popular YouTube channel into a go-to destination for extra insight into classical music, adding several thousand subscribers a month, now with a total of over 105k.
My work encompasses the full range of film production:
- planning and specialist research
- production management
- directing both on location and in the studio
- camera operating
- channel management
- Producer for the acclaimed Philharmonia Sessions, a series of filmed performances by the Philharmonia Orchestra at Battersea Arts Centre, London, socially distanced during COVID-19. “I was completely unprepared for the emotional impact this short streamed concert had on me.” – The Times (5-star review)
- Produced the award-winning interactive web documentary Stravinsky’s Journeys, an unfolding timeline of the composer Igor Stravinsky’s life complete with film, photography, anecdotes and maps. The site won Bronze the 2017 Lovie Awards. See the site at philharmonia.co.uk/stravinsky
- Produced the large-scale live broadcast for the Philharmonia Orchestra of Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting Mahler’s 3rd Symphony. The performance was live-streamed via the Guardian’s Facebook and Southbank Centre’s YouTube, with over 120,000 views. The performance is available to watch on the Philharmonia’s YouTube channel [click here].
- Produced films on location around the UK and in France, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Finland, Sweden, Hungary, Italy, the United States and India.
Degree / Languages:
- BA in Music, Smith College (USA)
- Italian & Spanish (high level); French (basic)
I enjoy public speaking and have presented on the Philharmonia’s digital work at international conferences including:
- Raindance Film Festival
- Association of British Orchestras conference
- ClassiqueFirst! conference, Paris
- MultiOrchestra International Conference 2015, Rio de Janeiro.
- I was also on the jury for VR films in 2017 for the Raindance Film Festival, London.
- Top Score, Classical MPR (USA), hosted by Emily Reese, July 2014
I spoke to Emily Reese about the Philharmonia Orchestra’s iPad app, The Orchestra.
- MultiOrchestra Conference Day 3 summary, Concerto.com.br, by João Luiz Sampaio, April 2015 (in Portuguese) Summary of my talk at MultiOrchestra Conference, Rio de Janeiro, April 2014
- “Tell me something I don’t know,” O Globo (Brazil), interviewed by Glauce Cavalcanti, May 2015 (in Portuguese) About the Philharmonia Orchestra’s innovative digital work.